SCALISE UNMOVED ON GUN RIGHTS … House Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.) told a national television audience last week that his pro-Second Amendment beliefs have not changed. He cited the bipartisan passage of NSSF-supported legislation signed into law by President Trump this year that addressed denying access to firearms by those who should not have them as the best approach to improving public safety.
WARM UP FOR SHOT SHOW AT THE 2019 NSSF/HAVA GOLF CLASSIC … Organized to support Honored American Veterans Afield, the NSSF/HAVA Golf Classic raises money to support disabled veterans with their healing process through guided hunts, target shooting events and other outdoor sports activities. Learn more about the event, taking place Sunday, Jan. 20, and register to help raise money for our industry’s veterans’ charity.
GIVING A FIREARM AS A GIFT? SOME REMINDERS FROM NSSF … The holidays are just around the corner. As hunters, shooters or collectors, it’s a natural instinct to want to share our enjoyment of firearms with others. What better way to do that than to make a gift of a firearm to a family member, close friend or relative? Remember, however, there are a few things you should consider before gifting someone a firearm.
Other NSSF News:
- Helping our industry’s FFLs adhere to ATF rules and regulations is central to NSSFs mission. One of the best places to get a grip and stay on the high road is with the Compliance Learning Track of SHOT University.
- If you’re a retailer looking to diversify your inventory and stand apart from your competition, or a media member seeking the next big trend to talk about, Pop-Up Preview should be at the top of your must-see list at the 2019 SHOT Show.
- The SHOT Show Executive Management Seminar offers specialized training that addresses the needs of industry professionals from up-and-coming managers to presidents and CEOs.
- NSSF Member Services will have two locations at the 2019 SHOT Show to make joining or renewing your membership more convenient: Sands Level 2 Lobby Booth #L231 and the Main Exhibit Hall Level 2, Booth #15846.
- Join the conversation on 2019 SHOT Show events, exhibits and news and connect with other showgoers on the SHOT Show LinkedIn page.
- NSSF is pressing Congress to pass and send to the president the bipartisan Target Practice and Marksmanship Training Support Act (S.593/H.R.788). This NSSF legislative priority would provide increased access to public shooting ranges without costing the taxpayer.
- The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit this week ruled 2-1 that a New Jersey law limiting the magazine capacity to 10 rounds does not violate the Constitution.
- Colorado State Sen. Fenberg (D-Boulder), the incoming Senate majority leader, told the Colorado Sun that a “red flag” bill, which would enable judges to order seizures of firearms from people deemed an imminent risk to themselves or others, would be a top priority.
- Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens told the New York Times that the landmark Heller decision was the biggest of the three biggest “errors” of the U.S. Supreme Court. This is why NSSF supports presidents who will nominate those jurists who will interpret laws as they were written.
- If you are wondering where you draw the line between performing gunsmithing versus manufacturing, let’s take a look at the most common of these gray areas and see where they fall when it comes to the ATF and proper licensing.
- Respirators are a normal equipment requirement for most indoor shooting range staff. When it comes to choosing the best respirator for your staff there’s no one-size-fits-all solution.
- ATF Q&A: Questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF Member Compliance Hotline last week. One question asks, “A member of my town’s police department, whom I know very well, wants to buy a firearm for official use, but does not have a letter of authorization. Considering I know them so well, do I still have to do a NICS check?”
- The November 2018 NSSF-adjusted National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) figure of 1,314,193 is a decrease of 9.8 percent compared to the November 2017 NSSF-adjusted NICS figure of 1,457,103. Log in to see full data.
- Learn more about different generations’ perspectives on the firearms industry by viewing NSSF’s latest webinar, which outlines results from a new report entitled Multi-Generational Research for the Firearms Industry.
- The Smallbore Rifle Selection Match concluded two rounds of qualifications and finals at the Olympic Shooting Center with world-class scores from top finishers Sarah Beard and Tim Sherry.
- Just in time for the holiday shopping season SIG SAUER, Inc., has partnered with the Black Rifle Coffee Company. An exclusive coffee club member discount will be available at the SIG web store.
- The National Rifle League announced its Official 2019 Match Schedule, which will include 18 national-level two-day matches across the nation and a championship match.
- Professional 3-Gun shooter and firearms instructor Corinne Mosher shares how she got started in the shooting sports and encourages anyone interested to come out and give shooting a try.
- LetsGoShooting.org shared 7 Critical Aspects of Pistol Shooting that apply whether you’re training for self-defense, plinking with a .22 pistol, competing at a match or on the silhouette range.