Featured News: 1) NSSF RIMFIRE CHALLENGE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CONCLUDES, RIMFIRE CHALLENGE TRANSITION COMING … Nearly 350 competitors converged this past weekend to take part in NSSF’s 2017 Rimfire Challenge World Championship. View the results. The NSSF Rimfire Challenge will be transitioned to a new organization — the Rimfire Challenge Shooting Association — on Jan. 1, 2018. 2) ANTI-GUN LEGISLATION INTRODUCED IN CONGRESS … Anti-gun Members of Congress have introduced a number of measures: H.R.3984 to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; H.R.3962 to end online ammunition sales; H.R.3986 to mandate “smart guns;” H.R.3987 to fund gun violence research, victim assistance and stolen gun tracking; and S.1945 to ban magazines holding more than 10 rounds. NSSF opposes these bills.
- U.S. Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.) and U.S. Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) led efforts on Capitol Hill resulting in letters to ATF asking for re-evaluation of bump stocks to ensure compliance with federal law. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) urged legislators to allow ATF to complete a regulation review, a position NSSF shares.
- The Massachusetts state Senate voted to regulate the sale of “bump stocks” and “trigger crank” style devices. The House passed a more expansive measure. Next comes a conference committee to address differences. Gov. Baker indicated he would sign legislation. NSSF is monitoring developments in this and other state capitals.
- Calif. Gov. Jerry Brown vetoed SB464 that would have mandated rigid statewide security and storage standards for firearms retailers. NSSF thanks those who contacted him to urge a veto. Brown signed NSSF-opposed AB 1525 to require additional signage and literature warning language.
- The ATF recommends that all FFLs create a disaster preparedness plan, which should cover wildfire preparedness.
- “Target hardening” is a process wherein a building is made into a more difficult or less attractive target for criminals. Use this guide to determine if you are doing your solid best to make your FFL location a “hard target” for thieves.
- There are many ways to reimagine and retrofit an existing range facility with nominal cost. With the basic goal of diversifying revenue sources across added business lines, this article focuses on three important profit centers.
- ATF Q&A: More great questions came in on our 24/7 NSSF member compliance hotline last week. One question asks if a NICS background check is valid for 30 days from when the check was initiated, or from when a “proceed” is issued.
- A study that set out to show the California Condor is in danger from ingesting fragments of traditional lead-component ammunition relies on suspect methodology, extrapolating limited results from other bird species. Read more.
- The National Deer Alliance urges hunters considering purchase and use of the SAWCorp CWD blood test to be aware that this test is not approved by the United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
- The Scholastic Shooting Sports Foundation reported today that a record number of athletes and coaches have registered for their Scholastic Clay and Scholastic Action Shooting Programs as of September 30, 2017.
- The International Shooting Sport Federation announced that the 131st International Olympic Committee has confirmed the place of shooting in the sports program of the Olympic Games 2024 that will take place in Paris.